Safer Detention Unit (SDU) Information
The cost of building a standard police cell varies from £256,666 to £800,000
- 80% of prisoners are arrested for minor crime
- They admit guilt at point of arrest and are non violent
- They could be processed on the spot within 90 minutes
- However we drive them miles to custody - place them in a cell designed for the most violent and designed to prevent escape by the most hardy and ingenious.
- We operate a one size fits all policy. The Lambeth cell is 7m2 with a bed, toilet and wash basin.
- Processing minor crime prisoners in these environments takes a minimum of 12 hours
The Safer Detention Unit - the Safer Solution
- An SDU is a small holding cell equipped with climate control, CCTV, audio and an intercom. It is designed to hold suspects for up to 6 hours in a police environment.
- The SDU could be installed in shared locations such as shops, retail centres, neighbourhood police bases or existing police buildings.
- Separating out minor crime prisoners from those with investigation or personal needs will reduce detention times by approximately 4.5 hours.
- A force processing only 5,000 prisoners through use of SDUs will gain 22,500 hours of extra patrol.
- The SDU can be installed in existing police stations/custody suites to manage minor crime prisoners, bail to returns and drink drive suspects thus increasing capacity at low cost and improving efficiency.
- The SDU meets Home office guidelines for ‘Safer Custody’ and has been tested for escape by public order officers, for customer experience by repeat offenders and for meeting needs of prisoners with religious requirements.
- The SDU can be installed into existing space due to its patented modular/flat pack design.
- The SDU is Human Rights Compliant in that it is Proportionate, Legal, Accountable and Necessary. It improves police efficiency and reduces suspect’s detention time.
- By installing the SDU police will become more efficient and effective with dealing with minor crime prisoners. The impact could be even more effective against staff theft.
- Short Term Holding Facilities could be built in retail centres for shared use by security staff and police. The retailers bearing the cost for improved efficiency for both parties.
The financial case justification for installation of the SDU is a 12 month efficiency RTO